Governor T.A Orji of Abia State and his wife,deputy governor Chief Acho Nwakamma and former senate president Adolphus Wagbara were all present as the slain youth corp member,Obinna Okpokiri was laid to rest.He was honoured in death,but that was never enough.Nothing would make up for his loss,for his friends and family.
In my anger,I would have cursed the day NYSC was invented.I would have cursed who brought it out.But no,I do not blame any programme and people who set out to bring about cultural integration and unity.That,at least,is NYSC's overt idea.
I would blame a set of hoodlums,never-do-wells,idiots who do not value human life.I would blame whoever the animals were fighting for,who failed to stop his brainless imps from causing havoc.I would blame illiteracy.I would blame joblessness.I would blame disregard for human life.Every word I use against those touts clearly elevates,than degrade them.
I urge the family of Obinna Okpokiri to take heart.It's so easy to say,when not affected.But I'm affected.He passed through my beloved Government College Umuahia(GCU),and was meant to be a living legend.He still is,in death.Every GCU old boy is.He also passed through Abia State University,where I studied.I may not have known him much,but I feel much more downcast than before.
Rest In Peace Obinna Okpokiri.Heaven awaits you.God would fish out your killers,and they would pay for it.I'm sure they would.