As a big critic of the Abia State governor,Chief T.A Orji,I remember promising myself to support and praise him if he managed to win the election(by whatever means).Well,it is no longer news he won.What I cannot,however,understand is why he keeps making further mistakes.
Just this week,he promised to tackle the issues of security,social services,health,rural development and housing in the state.I must admit the future would be a far brighter one for the state,if these promises are fulfilled.As an optimist,I do not count against that happening.And knowing how enthusiastic my governor is,I trust him to succeed this time.But,then,I disagree with his claims
"...I will build on the super structures I have built in the state in the areas of education,health,road construction...",he quipped confidently.I do not doubt he would do these,but saying he had built before is purely not true.Do we need to stress further how bad education has gone in the state,that private schools now call the shots?Hey,doctors went on strike for almost a year in the state.And,boy,do I need to tell how much of death traps our roads are at the moment?
He said Abia 'voted' for PDP because of the performance of the administration in the last four years.I totally disagree.Those who voted for PDP did so,because they had no better alternative and also they wanted to give the government a second chance.Does that sound puerile and jejune?That's the fact,nonetheless.
Lastly,the governor described himself as a 'silent worker'.Are you kidding me?For the past four years,the government of the state used propaganda as a chief tool.The little knowledge I have tells me silence and propaganda are strange bed fellows.
Let us not dwell on the soon-to-be past administration.It was catastrophic.Let's deal on the present.I trust my governor to do better this time.He's a nice man.I trust him.