The last time I saw a Nollywood movie, my palate was left with a sour taste.
We always criticise the storyline of the local home videos, but we do not notice that we also have very bad role interpreters, who ordinarily wouldn't appear in Secondary School stage dramas in even Sokoto State.
I always read about a certain Chioma Toplis, for example. She always boasted and quarrelled with people every minute of the day. Yet when I saw her lately in a movie, it was like 'bloody hell'. Even my illiterate great-grand mother in the grave would have done better. I ask, is it that directors don't recognise a repulsive role interpreter when they see one, or do they just use them for the sake of 'just completing the cast? Sadly, this is why we would always live in the shadows of Hollywood and Bollywood, whom we claim to be close to in quality. Even a mad man would have good reason to laugh at that claim, anyway.
A lot is needed to move Nollywood forward. Using good actors would be a salient issue.