I have decided to fall in love with Madam Patience Jonathan, the first lady of Nigeria. Remember I vowed to dislike her for ever embarrassing my hero, Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State. I also promised to hiss because she told Abia people to accept the fact their non-performing governor would be re-elected, whether they voted or not. Other statements credited to her in the past have made me not like her. But I've changed my mind.
First, and not necessarily the major reason, her husband is a man we all love. I can't love a man's head, and ignore the legs. So we must accept her.
Again, I have reasons to believe she has turned a new and better leaf. I told friends not to expect that much from her in the first term, because I felt she was actually using her short term in office as a learning process. Now she's back, she must have changed.
Also, championing the entry of women in politics has always been her dream and she has been actualizing that. Now, they love her.
The days of 'umblerra' and 'fellow widows' seem a thing of the past. Madam GEJ has come to stay, and stay she will. Our support wouldn't wane for her.