I always wanted Arsenal captain Francesc Fabregas to do the right thing. When he left Barcelona as a sixteen-year old, I hailed the wisdom. Growing under Arsene Wenger is the best thing a youthful footballer could always dream of. And Fabregas didn't disappoint.
Wenger has moulded him to a complete footballer he now is. In fact, he is now the captain of Arsenal. However, I fear for him.
While any sensible footballer would always dream of playing for a club like Barcelona, I feel a player has to think of the footballing, rather than financial, aspect of the game in making decisions. The question is, 'what would be the best for Fabregas, since he has been tempted by Barcelona?'.
As a Manchester United fan, I would want him to go. But as a fan of Fabregas (he alone cannot stop United), I want him to stay back. If he needs a reason why, the 2010 World cup should be one.
Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta called the shots for Spain, while Fabregas remained on the bench. Both are Barcelona players, and I cannot see Pep Guardiola dropping any of them. In fact, even the worst manager wouldn't. Therefore, Fabregas has to ask himself whether he would really get game time if he went there.
For me, I'd rather stay in a place where I would be a king, than a place where I wouldn't be appreciated.
Fabregas should know one thing - he needs Arsenal more than Arsenal need him.