When president Ebele Jonathan proposed a six-year, one term tenure for president and governors, rather than the popular (or unpopular) eight-year two term tenure, I almost smelt a rat. Why I finally did not, was when I remembered he promised not to contest in 2015. So, he wasn't really going to benefit, was he? I think the proposition was one borne out of innocence, and expectation for the best. Probably, he wanted to make things easier for those waiting in the wings to contest after a tenure (did I hear you say Buhari?). But he forgot something.
One, whoever wins such election would become a demi-god (this is Naija, isn't it?). He would probably feel, "heck, what next would I aim for? I have nothing to contest after this. I could as well not work. I could steal as much money as I want".
Then again, how boring wouldn't it look? We would have just a governor for six years? That's heck of a long time. Even a performing governor could err by then. So, even as God took Moses away so he doesn't sin again, four year term remains the best...well, in Nigeria.